When I find an alternate use for products or clever cleaning tips I get excited. Anything that makes cleaning easier it great! Try these 9 surprising cleaning tips!
- Let a bottle of cola go flat and then pour it down the toilet. Let it sit for a few hours then flush it down and give the bowl a quick scrub. It will sparkle!
- Dirty vases can be hard to clean. The easy way is to fill the vase about half full of water and add a handful of raw rice. Cover the top of the vase with your hand or some foil and shake the heck out of it. You can also use a wooden spoon to stir the mix vigorously. The rice acts as a mild abrasive to scrub the stains. Pour the mix out, rinse, and enjoy your clean vase.
- Your dishwasher can be used to clean plastic combs, brushes, and plastic toys (don’t put anything that requires batteries in the dishwasher). Use mesh bags for small items, such as plastic building blocks. You can even put the crisper drawers of your refrigerator in the dishwasher.
- Wear a pair of wet rubber gloves to remove pet hair from furniture. The hair will cling to the gloves and the furniture will dry in a minute or two.
- Don’t throw your used aluminum foil away before using it to clean your grill. Scrunch up the foil and rub on the grate.
- If your vacuum uses bags have a piece of duct tape ready to put on the hole when you’re changing the bag. It will prevent the dirt and dust in the bag from escaping.
- Hard water stains can be removed by rubbing a half a lemon of them. Rub the lemon on the surface, rub with a sponge, then rinse, and buff.
- Keep extension cords neat and accessible by using twist ties. Wrap the cord back and forth to form the usual little bundle then tie with twist ties. You can pick up a roll of twist tie material with a built in cutter at any garden center. Once the extension cord is neatly bundled and tied hang it on a hook or hanger.
- Remove ink stains from clothing with hairspray. Simply spray the stain heavily with hairspray and use a damp, clean, white cloth to rub the stain away. You may have to apply the hairspray a few times depending on the stain. Then launder the clothing as usual.