Yesterday was not a fantastic day. My hands were terribly swollen when I woke up and it took me a while to even be able to make a loose fist. On top of being stiff and sore all over I had a migraine. The only thing I wanted to do was retreat to my bed and feel sorry for myself but I refused. If nothing else I was determined to make a good dinner and thick, juicy pork chops coated in a slightly spicy breading is my idea of a great dinner! It was time for Bam’s Breaded Pork Chops.
We had some 1 inch thick pork chops and making my breaded pork chops isn’t too labor intensive even for a bad day. And the taste is worth any amount of work.
I preheated the oven to 400°F. Then I had to make the spice/seasoning mix. I wanted something a little spicy but not too hot. And since I was using Italian panko breadcrumbs I wanted to stick with flavors that wouldn’t clash with the seasoned crumbs.
The rest of the prep was easy. I whisked a couple of eggs and dipped my pork chops in to coat both sides.
I can fit 4 chicken thighs in this dish so you can see the pork chop is pretty big!
Then I put the chops into my breadcrumb and spice mixture. I pressed the breadcrumbs into the meat with my hands so they’d really stick to the meat.
The seasoning mix combined with the breadcrumbs. My parsley flakes are a bit bigger since I dry the parsley I grow in the garden.
I darned near could have made one pork chop to split between the two of us!
I put the chops in the oven and let them bake for about 35 minutes. I checked the temperature and took the chops out to rest and come to the proper temperature (145°F).
The pork chops are tender and juicy and the breading provides just the right crunch and spice to the chops. I served them with baked potatoes and green beans fresh from the garden.
Bam’s Breaded Pork Chops
- 2 – 1 inch thick bone-in pork chops
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup Italian panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Make seasoning mix by stirring the seasoning ingredients well to combine thoroughly
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the seasoning mix with breadcrumbs and stir with a fork to combine (the remainder of the seasoning mix can be stored in an airtight container for several months)
- Place seasoned breadcrumbs on a large plate
- Put eggs in a bowl large enough for the pork chops and whisk
- Dip pork chops, one at a time, in the eggs and turn to cover both sides
- Press the pork chops into breadcrumbs then turn over
- Use your hands to press the breadcrumbs into the meat
- Arrange pork chops on a baking sheet and bake at 400°F for about 35 minutes (until internal temperature reaches 140°F)
- Remove chops from oven and allow them to rest for several minutes (until internal temperature is 145°F for medium rare)