The weather suddenly cooled significantly here. It was 85° just a few days ago and now it’s in the low, LOW 60’s. I need a shot of summer even if it’s only in the flavors in my dinner. So I’m made Breaded Chicken & Fettuccine with Lemon Cream Sauce because lemon always reminds me of summer and pasta is just plain comforting in any situation.
<!–more– Continue reading->
I tried to get pictures of the steps during cooking but I discovered I was in too much pain to even care how they looked. This is the problem with cooking any dish that requires more labor than frozen pizza on days like this.
In spite of the lack of pictures please try this recipe. Even M, who still can’t taste a lot, said it was delicious and actually asked me to put it in my regular recipe rotation (and say that three times fast). I really believe you’ll love it. It’s also very easy to make in larger quantities if you have more than 2 people in your house.
Breaded Chicken & Fettucine with Lemon Cream Sauce
2 servings of fettuccine, cooked al dente
For the chicken:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1 egg, mixed
- 1/2 cup Italian Panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 – 3 tablespoons oil for frying chicken
For the lemon cream sauce:
- 1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Boil salted water and cook fettuccine until al dente.
- Drain and keep hot.
- Pound the chicken breasts until they are evenly thin.
- In a dish large enough for the breasts, whisk the egg.
- Pour panko crumbs into a dish large enough to hold the chicken breasts.
- Dip the breasts into the egg then into the breadcrumbs, pressing crumbs into the meat.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet until shimmering.
- Lay the chicken breasts in the skillet and cook each side until browned and crispy (about 3 – 4 minutes per side). *If your chicken is browning too quickly you can finish it in a 400F oven to reach the correct temperature.
- Remove the chicken and keep hot.
- Add the butter to the skillet then the chicken broth scraping up any browned bits from the chicken.
- Bring the broth to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to not quite half.
- Stir in the heavy cream and lemon juice and increase the heat to medium.
- Cook until the broth and cream mixture is thickened.
- Place the breaded chicken and fettuccine on a plate and spoon some of the lemon cream sauce over both.
- If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and garnish with parsley.