In 2000 I had a spinal cord injury that left me with central nervous system damage. It’s very difficult for me to bend and getting up and down from bed and chairs is difficult and sometimes impossible without help. Since getting up from a chair is hard you can imagine how hard it is to get down and back up from the floor. I avoid putting my bottom end and floors together as often as I can!
Because of this situation I sometimes ignore areas that require me to sit on the floor to clean and organize. I force myself to do it for the refrigerator but the cabinet under the kitchen sink has been neglected for, I’m ashamed to say, years. But today is the day! I gave myself a pep talk (“Butt meet floor!”) and I’m going in!
Before I actually get down (great…now I have that old song lyric “get down, get down..” stuck in my head) to the cleaning and organizing I’m developing a plan. I don’t want to have to go through the struggle of getting up and down because I didn’t gather everything I want before I begin. I have a service dog who assists me but I don’t want to tax him with constant, unnecessary work.
My Game Plan:
- Pull everything out and separate into “on the floor” items and “put in boxes” items.
- Find boxes or bins in the size(s) I need.
- Learn to drink wine.
- Clean the bottom of the cupboard and wash anything that has become sticky, or dusty.
- Divide the cupboard into areas so I know where to find each type of cleaning supply I keep there.
- Drink a little more wine.
- Put the items going into boxes in the appropriate box and store the non-box items where they belong.
- Drink enough wine to forget the entire job.
As a special surprise I found that one of our sons had been storing used frying oil in an empty coffee container under the sink. It had been knocked over and a fair amount of grease had spilled and congealed at the back of the cupboard. I had to soak the mess with Greased Lightening® and use a putty knife to get it all up. I’m definitely going to consider the wine-drinking hobby!
You may have the most organized under-the-sink cupboard imaginable but if you’re looking for a little inspiration I hope this helps!