I love this rich, flavorful meal. The tomato cream sauce can be used in so many dishes but one of my favorite ways is to combine it with shrimp and fettuccine. It’s my version of comfort food. And it only takes about 30 minutes to make!
If you double the recipe use the same amount of cream.
Shrimp with Fettuccine in Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 Oz. Size) tomato sauce
- Salt And pepper, to taste
- Sugar (to cut the acidity of tomato sauce, to taste)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Fresh basil, chiffonade and chopped
- ½ pound fettucine
- ½ pound shrimp
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water and keep pasta warm.
- Sauté shrimp in 1 tablespoon of the butter until shrimp is pink.
- Heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for until onions just begin to soften.
- Add tomato sauce to onions and garlic.
- Add salt, pepper, and sugar to taste. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream.
- Add cheese to taste.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Add pasta, tossing gently with tongs.
- If sauce is too thick for your taste you may thin with a bit of the reserved water from the pasta.
- Add shrimp, tossing gently with tongs until sauce is well-distributed.
- Add basil and mix it in gently.